Wednesday, March 8, 2017

TGI - Not All Me

My Bible reading lately, however meager, has centered in 1 Corinthians.
Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians is not altogether a letter of praise. The Corinthian church had so many issues, but despite the issues, Paul opens the letter telling them that God would “sustain [them] to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1:8). As I reread chapter 1 for the probably the 20th time in the past 3 weeks, this verse really struck me. Guiltless? Really?
Read through verses 4-9.
4 I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that was given you in Christ Jesus, 5 that in every way you were enriched in him in all speech and all knowledge— 6 even as the testimony about Christ was confirmed among you7 so that you are not lacking in any gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8 who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.9 God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. (ESV from Biblegateway.com, bold mine)

Why was Paul thanking God for these people?
If you read the rest of the letter, it seems that they were still screwing up pretty badly. Why in the world would Paul be thanking God for these people?
He was thankful for these people because of God’s faithfulness in them.
How does this apply to my life as a teacher? Well, I can’t believe how much I keep screwing up. I say the wrong thing, act like a child (ask my 6th graders), fail to adequately prepare. Who gave me this job again?
I know the right way to do things, but for some reason, I struggle to get my act together. Instead of going to bed at a decent hour, I binge episodes of Sabrina the Teenage Witch (...don't judge). Instead of working on my curriculum map, I distract myself in the teacher workroom with coffee and treats. Instead of looking only to Jesus for my validation and provision, I compare myself to other first year teachers and feel like a lazy slob.
Then I read this passage, and I take a minute to really look my own growth. Yes, I am a sinner, but I am being sanctified day by day, growing and trusting God to change me. It’s not all on me. I do what I can do, and my good God fills in the gaps.

I am so thankful that he does; otherwise, I wouldn't be able to love the way I do. It seems like God's work in me is being accomplished. See the love I'm getting back?



Try to see your own growth. Accept grace, and trust that your actions in that past can't keep God from using you in the future. You aren't that powerful.

<3 Ashley


May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. ~Romans 15:13 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment