Sunday, February 12, 2017

"David called me fat."

"Guys, you need your notes and your math books today." I projected the directions across the room of meandering 6th graders. Most of the class obliged me and got their supplies for another invigorating math lesson.


Anna, on other hand, sat in her seat, her face completely dejected; depression and sadness had noticeably taken over the usually sparkly 11 year old girl. I walked over to see what was up.


I knelt down by her desk. "You OK?"


Frowning down at her desk she replied, "David called me fat."


I know David, and I know David would most likely not call someone fat with the intention of being a bully or tearing them down. Consequently, I decided I would investigate the situation a little further. "Do you want me to talk to him?"


"Yes," she answered pitifully.


I stood up and narrowed my gaze on the suspect. "You. With me."


David's eyes widened as he followed me into the hall.


Trying my best not to sound like a detective from Law and Order, I asked him, "Did you say something to Anna?"


He shook his head, slowly, a look telling me he wasn't quite sure what I was talking about, and that he was wracking his brain to remember what he had said to get him in the hall.


"She said you called her fat." I had decided to skip to the main point.


"OH! Yeah, John (his older brother) saw this video and it says...like....'Yoooouu'rreee faaattt....' in it.....yeah....And I said that...um....like," he stammered out the excuse, and I began to put it together.


"Ah, I see. Hm. Anna heard you quote that and thought you were directing it at her."


He looked at me with a face that basically rejected the accusation that he had done anything wrong.


"David. You need to apologize to her, OK?"


His body language adjusted, suggesting that he understood. He nodded and replied, "Yeah, OK."


15 minutes later...


Anna's giggly personality had reverted to normal, but David's demeanor now took on a sulkier presence, as he'd had time to think about the fact that he'd just gotten in trouble for something he didn’t mean to do.


Gah. Middle schoolers and their hormones. Nevertheless, I did not regret getting involved. I saw a perfect opportunity to teach lessons to both parties.


After class...


Anna and David sat in desks next to each other. Both moods had lifted; however, both were visibly uncomfortable with any kind of impending "talk".


"OK, Anna, you came in all upset because of something David said." She giggled uncomfortably and nodded. "I'd like you to think for a minute about David's heart. Do you think he would actually straight up call you fat? Is he that kind of guy?"


"Uh....no, I guess not..." she mumbled nervously.


I turned to David, "Buddy, you have got to pay attention to what is coming out of your mouth. You never know who is listening and what affect your words might have."


David nodded.


Back to the sparkly one, "Anna, next time you hear David say something and you start to feel bad about, think about his heart. Think about what kind of guy he is and the fact that he wouldn't say something to hurt your feelings on purpose. Give him grace, all right?"


Anna nodded. "Yeah, OK."


"I love you guys very much, and it is important to me that you care about each other. You understand?"


Both nodded. Both finished with the meeting.


"Now, get out of my classroom, and be nice to each other, OK?"


Anna and David giggled, got up, and scampered out into the hall.


How much better would our relationships be if we could learn these lessons? If we could speak only uplifting words, and let love cover a multitude of sins?

~May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment